Friday, July 7, 2023

I'm Back, and I'm Fancy!

Ok, I'll be honest.  Taylored Expressions is holding an open call for their Design Team, so I'm dusting off the blogging skills!  I love their products.  I love their nice, heavy cardstock and the coordinating hybrid inks.  They have a huge, gorgeous color palette.  And I love their stamps and stencils!  They taught me I don't have to be afraid of the red rubber stamps.  I've had the opportunity to participate in a couple of their Virtual Stamp Joy events over the past few years, and they are always so much fun.  

They host a monthly challenge in the Fans of Taylored Expressions Facebook group called the TE Maker Challenge.  This month, the challenge is all about Fancy Folds.  One of the reason I love challenges is because the make me try new techniques.  I had made a few Fancy Folds in classes, but I've never tried to tackle one on my own.  They're kind of fun!

I decided to try the interlocking gatefold design.  I used some Stamp Joy exclusive products including a Foil It card that I foiled with a sparkly gold foil.  I used a coordinating layering stencil set to add some pretty colors.  Guava and Fruit Punch were two of the first TE colors I realized I needed in my life.  Once the panel was inked, I took a deep breath and cut it in half down the middle.  The card base is Rose Water, and it's a normal A2 base that is scored 2 1/8" from both ends to create the gatefold base.  I lined up the panel pieces on the front and glued them down.  I used a die by MFT to cut out the scalloped stitch rectangle frame.  I embossed the TE sentiment in gold to match the gold foil.



Then comes the fancy part.  I glued the inner rectangle sentiment only to the right panel, and the scalloped frame only to the left panel.  This way the card opens down the middle, but the pieces also interlock to close flat.  It makes a little more sense when you see it open.  And it really wasn't that difficult! 

I wanted to add a little design to the inside of the card, as well.  I used the layering stencils and just inked up parts of it to create It makes a few simple floral images. 


So there it is.  A Fancy Blog post for a Fancy Fold card.  Don't be afraid to try something new.  If you hate it, it was only paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment